Monday, September 26, 2011

Squatting

In a previous post, I listed a few things that I could not do before I discovered Crossfit.  Recently, I thought of another. 

Squatting.

I've always been good at this type of squatting.
And for all practical reasons, squatting to do your business should be similar to the proper technique in any squat.  Here's what it should look like....


Before Crossfit, I was like anyone else who would say...

"Squatting hurts my back."
"Squatting hurts my knees."
"I hate squatting."

When first arriving CrossfitCarmel over a year ago, the above-mentioned statements were met with the following reply:

"Once you start squatting with correct form, you won't have that kind of pain."

Now, 14 months later, I understand that squatting is a glute, hamstring engagement.  Putting less weight on the bar and working on form over the past several months has been the best thing I've ever decided.  And as I look to work on my hamstring mobility, I can only hope that I am able to increase my squat numbers in the future.  

My knees don't hurt when I squat because I make sure my knees track over my toes.  

My back does not hurt when I squat because I make sure my chest is up.  If I can not keep my chest up, then I have too much weight on the bar.  

When I first started Crossfit, I could barely squat 135 lbs.

Now...........
(let the sweaty jokes commence....it's the only pic I had!)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...