Wednesday, June 20, 2012

May Your Skin Be with You

For two-hundred days a year I work around budding adolescents who are more plugged in, connected, and mobile than one could ever imagine back in 1984.  Back when I cared more about fitting in, I remember a trip to the dermatologist, an old, overweight man in a long white coat with a helmet light that looked like it belonged here....


I remember leaving school to go see this clown whose diligent bedside manner left me with more than acne scars when he proclaimed in his best James Earl Jones voice to my mother in what sounded like slow motion.....

"Yoooooooooooooooouuuuuurrrr soooooooooooooooooooon haaaaaas SEVEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERE AAAAAAAAAAACNEEEEEEEEEEEE."

I was prescribed Accutane.  It dried me out, made my nose bleed, and gave me headaches.  Great.

Nothing like returning to my locker at age 15 just wanting to fit in with SEVERE ACNE and then having to return to see Darth Dumbass Bedside Manner and all he ever asked me was, "So....seen any good movies lately?"  

"No asshole.  Seen any good, juicy boils lately?!?"  

I didn't.  But I always wanted to. 


It's memories like these that come back as I sit here attacked by different, evil skin attacking dots.....


Really???!?!  ME??!?!!  CHICKEN POX??!??!  I eat healthy.  I exercise vigorously 5-6x/week.  I eat more veggies than the average person.  I'm a damn health coach for Luke Skywalker sakes!!!  

Here we go again.  Twenty-five years later and it's time to put more scars on top of the ones that healed back when jean jackets and tape deck Walkmen ruled the world and MTV played music.  

It's been almost a week.  The itching has subsided.  The pox are crusting over, and now I look to fight the good fight.  


I refuse to scar this time!  I will NOOOOOOOOOOOOOT HAAAAAAAAAAVVVVVE SEVEEEEEEEEEEEEERE SCAAAAAAAAAAARRIIIIIINNNNNNG!

So what am I doing?  

Using Oatmeal Baths:  Oatmeal has anti-inflammatory properties that helps soothe inflamed skin.  It's been huge to say the least.  

Drinking Plenty of Water Especially Coconut Water:  The nutrients in coconut water help repair damaged skin caused by chicken pox. 

Ramping Up My Leafy Greens and Fruits That are Good for the Skin:  Leafy green have beta-carotene, an anti-oxidant that helps repair the skin, and the nutrients in certain fruits can act the same.

Here's my meal plan the past several days thanks to my health coaching colleague, Teresa!


Ingredients:

-4 apples
-1 cucumber
-handful of fresh kale

Run the above through my juicer

Add the juice into my blender and mix in the following:

-1 avocado
-3 cups of blueberries
-coconut water
-Protein Powder (optional, but I use SunWarrior)

Oh.........and I have seen some good movies lately as I have nothing better to do with so much time, but I'd never let that crusty, antiquated dermatologist know that!











No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...