Thursday, February 10, 2011

Addendum from a Childhood Coach

If you did not read my previous post titled "Motivation from a Childhood Coach", I featured a guest blogger, a high school coach and teach of mine.  I have to say, this was one my favorite posts to date.  If you have not tuned in lately or at all, I've been taking February to post information on the topic of motivation as this is the time of year when many of us tend to lose steam, focus, or our commitments we promised ourselves at the dawn of New Year's Day.  The following is a follow up email from "Coach" as he felt he left a portion out that he thought hit home his views on motivation.  Again, I think you can apply the following to any part of your fitness journey as everyone's path ebbs and flows.  It's the ebbing with which we need help.....and motivation.  So I've titled it....


Addendum from a Childhood Coach

............Because we do not always reach our goals the first time we try it is important to keep in mind Abraham Lincoln's comment to U.S. Grant, " I do not care how many times you have fallen, I care only how many times you rise up." An Oklahoma wrestling coach put it another way, "There never was a horse that couldn't be rode, nor a cowboy who couldn't be throwed." While the grammar differs the thoughts are the same...Pogo clarified it by pointing out that,"We have met the enemy, and they are US."  Each of us is the weakest part of the system, we all fail, the key is getting up and getting back at it. That was an essential part of motivation for me.



......stay tuned for another guest blogger, a friend and colleague of mine, a marathon runner who battled his own issues with food and fitness.  No matter what your level of fitness, you will want to read this.  

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...