Monday, February 21, 2011

Monday's Motivation

As the month rounds third and heads for home, I'm struggling.  I've not done anything remotely close to exercising since last Sunday.  At the ripe age of 38, I joined an indoor soccer team made up of members from Crossfit Carmel.  We have not been too successful in the win category, however we all enjoy playing and competing.  When I was a teenager, I ate, drank, and slept soccer.  So......down by several goals, last Sunday I decided to drill a shot from 30 plus yards out.  

It was in this position....


As I felt my groin tear like a head of lettuce on both sides, I spent some time like this....


It's a week and a day later, and there is no way I'm able to exercise how I would like.  So I figure I have choices: 

1.  Fall of the wagon and continue creeping things into my diet that don't belong.
2.  Focus more on my diet than ever before.
3.  Start stretching every day.
4.  Get going with some Yoga b/c I've been saying I want to do that for awhile now.

The correct answers....

2, 3, and 4.

Number 2

I'm not GOING on a diet, rather I'm going BACK to my strict dietary lifestyle for the structure I need.    I've let some foods creep back in very small moderation.  i.e. a couple of Girl Scout Cookies (by the way...the Samoa should be THE ONLY Girl Scout Cookie), bread and cheese on a sandwich, beer, and oatmeal.  The oatmeal does not sit very well in me in the morning.  It never has.  Perhaps it's also the almond butter I put in it.  I like dark, heavy beer, and I have had a couple the past two weekends, and both times, I was full quickly.  Not a bad thing at all, but I had a distended, bloating feeling like I've never had before with beer.  Strict Paleo for me for the next week.  100%.

Number 3
I must stretch!!!  MUST, MUST, MUST!!! I'm not sure I'll end up like this guy, but ya' gotta start somewhere.  Stretching is very difficult for me.  It's boring.  It hurts, and I'm less than a beginner.  However, I know if I want to keep working out at the level I've been, this is non-negotiable, and I am the only one standing in my way.  Stay tune for more on this including resources, I hope.

Number 4
I'm going to start yoga.  It's better on the body.  It helps with multiple issues:  flexibility, stress, mobility, endurance, and strength.  My wife has taken to hot yoga, but I sweat so much they may not let me back in the place.  I think I'm going to save a buck and start here.  Stay tuned as I will report back. 

So.....several months back I told myself I wanted to train for a half marathon and get below 2 hours.  I hope this injury has come along as a wake up call, as I'm going to let it heal while still finding ways to keep fit and maintain the path that I've been on.  I'm doing all I can do look at things this way.......


Stay tuned........

1 comment:

  1. Sorry to hear about the injury. Get some ice on it at least twice a day in addition to everything else. Hope it heals quickly.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...