Thursday, December 30, 2010

My New Hero

So here I am....not really knowing the protocol or digital mores of blogging, but I'm pretty sure somewhere it says that if you post a preview of what your going to blog, you may want to stick to it.  However.....after reading Unbroken, by Laura Hildenbrand, I had to get this out.

Thanks to my friend Mary, a voracious reader, who believed that I just may like this given that is was non-fiction, a genre I'm not usually drawn to and often avoid.  I get enough if that every day.  I

t's the story of Louis Zamperini, World Wart II veteran.  I have never had much interest in war stories, however this one gripped me and had me finishing a 500 page book in less than two days (ok....so I read in the movie theatre missing critical parts of Tangled, but I'm sure we'll rent it some day.)

Louie was a juvenile delinquent in the 1920's-30's.  He later found success and stayed out of trouble taking up running.  He qualified for the 1936 Olympics and was on target to break the 4 minute mile boundary.  (NOTE:  Leaving out incredible details you must read about him.)

Louie goes to war and finds himself as a trained bombadier aboard a B-24 bomber.  
Stranded at sea with three of his surviving crew for 47 days, he is later captured by the Japanese.  However, it would blow your mind what this guy goes through while at sea.  It makes Tom Hanks in "Castaway" look like he was at a resort.  He finds himself in a Japanese POW camp for almost two more years and endures mental and physical torment that would drive any of us to our death.  I'm pretty sure I'd be done after just getting to the camp seeing as though my idea of camping involves a Marriott.....however.....

I've read up on endurance.  I search the interent reading up on others' ideas, comments, and research on fitness, health, and stamina.  I was utterly captivated when I discovered Dean Karnazes and read his book Ultramarathon Man.  His words still stay with me and apply to other areas of my life outside fitness.  However, THIS guy, Louie......I'm still trying to synthesize it all.  What I know is that the next time I'm struggling with any part of my fitness, whether it be to grind through a workout or fight the demons of what to not eat, I'm glad I have Louie Zamperini to reference.  What I also know is this.....

If you need an extra push in the gym...
If you need some motivation to get your diet on track....
If you hate working out and need something to motivate you....
If you tell yourself and others that you just can't eat that way b/c (fill in the blank).....
If you read this blog and need ANY motivation inside our outside your fitness life.....

READ THIS BOOK!

If you are not a reader, then here is part one of four on YouTube from 60 Minutes.  If you intend to read the book, DO NOT watch more than the first one, as it gives everything away.



Louie Zamperini:  My new Olympic hero and source of motivation


2 comments:

  1. Ah, Craig. How well said. Reading Louie's story was such a perspective check for me and made me think of the millions of "soft" kids we're raising in our generation. That part REALLY made me think. His story reminds us to value the struggle, as it makes us as strong and resilient as we are. How often do we rescue/pamper/indulge/enable our kids, effectively making them "happier" now but handicapped later in never getting to learn the tough lessons that will make them strong enough to not only survive, but thrive in life?

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am going to tell Uncle Craig to read this book. Sounds like he would love it.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...