Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Clean Eating

If I'm going to eat beef, I want my cow eating this......


Not this........


If I'm going to eat chicken, I want my chickens being raised like this.....


Not this......


I learned a ton from this past weekend's Whole 9 Foundations of Nutrition Workshop in Chicago.  And I've thought about how I can fill up post after post with all that I learned.  However, all that is readily available for reading at the Whole 9 website and because Google is now a verb....you know what to do. I've decided for you that you don't want to hear my take on the balance of Omega 3's to Omega 6's, why an alkaline diet is better for you, and why grains and legumes lead to inflammation.  (But if you do, email me at cspinhealthy@gmail.com b/c I freakishly like talking about that stuff.)  What keeps resonating with me from the weekend is the importance of just eating well.   One of the best things I heard from the weekend was, "You are what your food eats."

The Paleo dietary lifestyle works for me right now.  It's a damn healthy way to live.  It's a tremendously sustainable way to eat.  It's restrictive to many, however my food goals are specifically related to my fitness goals.  High intensity, interval training and eating a clean diet are paramount for me.  But that's me.  As I round third and head for home on my 30 Day Paleo Challenge, I've come to realize again what I don't necessarily need in my diet while there are indeed other things I miss that are not that bad for me (ketchup, mustard, small amounts of yogurt for smoothies).  And.....there are those things I miss that I know are bad for me (pizza, wings, hoppy beer).  There's no doubt in my mind I'll indulge on such things again, but the key for me is doing so with limitations and be able to hop right back on the wagon.  My goal:  a 85/15 split of Paleo/Non-Paleo.  I think a Paleo dietary lifestyle can do better than most conventional diets, and I encourage you to do the research on it, try a 30 day challenge and see how you feel. 

Again....If you want to talk grains, legumes, lectin, protein, fat, or fish oil (all topics covered this past weekend) give me a shout.

By the way.....great movie if you haven't seen it.

click on picture for link to Food Inc. website
   







No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...